Year 8 into 9 Options process 2020
As you will know, we delayed the options process this year as we were conducting a full review of the 5 year curriculum. We concluded this review as the school closed. Therefore, communication of this to Year 8 students and parents/carers has been delayed. We are now ready to communicate this. Full details have been sent via letter and will be received by half term. A copy can be found HERE.
The need for change:
- We believe that ALL students have an entitlement to cover all subjects in depth and breadth, before choices are made and the curriculum narrows.
- Greater focus on depth in subjects (better understanding)
- Greater focus on breadth in subjects (more of the building blocks)
- Changes that have been made in GCSE and BTEC qualifications bring the need for more of the above
The summary is below:
- Greater depth of learning in Key Stage 3 with this phase being extended into Year 9
- Full GCSE options will be selected in Year 9, ready for a full start in September of Year 10
- All students will therefore continue all their subjects into Year 9. These subjects are:
- English Language
- English Literature
- French/Spanish (or alternative provision where that is currently in place)
- PSHEE and Religious Education
To ensure students receive a broad and balanced arts curriculum, alongside greater depth, there will be some choice. Students will need to choose between the following subjects:
- Drama or Music*
- Design Technology or Food Technology
Videos can be found below for the 4 option subjects from the subject leaders to briefly tell you about the subject.
* Students may be able to study Drama AND Music, instead of DT or Food, please indicate this on the form if preferred.
Ms J Mosely
Mr R Hodgson
Video coming soon!
Ms B Haydock
Please reply using the reply slip and/or email to email@example.com or return the reply slip using the return envelope.