Message regarding Free School Meals 17/06/2020
Dear Parents and Carers,
You will have seen in the news that the government has announced that they are making funding available for students who are eligible for Free School Meals over the summer holidays, further to the voucher provision that has been in place since the beginning of this period. This was a result of a campaign by school leaders, politicians and many others, with the phenomenal support provided by the footballer Marcus Rashford bringing this to the front pages and putting the issue at the top of the government's agenda.
While most families whose children are eligible for Free School Meals will already be registered, it is likely that some will not be for various reasons. In particular, there will be families who have been adversely affected by the recent crisis, or those who did not register previously in spite of being eligible as students did not take school meals.
We want to make sure that all BACA families who are eligible for this benefit have access to it, both for this period of particular challenge and for the future. The way that schools are funded means that as well as this support going directly to the students and families who need it, the academy will also receive additional funding in the future through the Pupil Premium, allowing us to invest in additional staff as well as opportunities, resources and support for students.
Your child might be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – if you apply on or after the 1st April 2018 your household income must be less than £7400 per year
We will ensure that all those registered receive their vouchers for the full period that they are eligible this term and over the holidays, then receive their meals in schools when we reopen fully.
We are awaiting confirmation regarding how the funding will work for Year 11 students as normally this funding stops at the end of June, but we very much hope to be able to support all eligible families for the full period.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact the school by phone (01273 691 191) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Mr R Speight