At BACA, we believe in making students and parents aware of the risks of using the internet.
Online safety is about the safety and protection of adolescents whilst they are using the internet and digital technology. Students are taught about internet safety throughout their time at the academy but we also think it is important for parents to support their child to be safe on the internet.
Parents are advised to follow these useful tips for supporting your child to be safe whilst on the internet:
- Be involved in your child’s online life – talk to them about what they are doing. If they know that you are interested and understand, they are more likely to approach you if they need in support.
- Keep up-to-date with your child’s development online – it is important that as your child learns more, that you do too.
- Set clear boundaries in the online world just as you would in the real world, regarding what they might see, what they share, who they talk to and how long they spend online.
- Be aware of what connects to the internet and how – many devices, such as the TV, mobile phone or games console connects to the internet. Also, find out how they are accessing the internet, is it your connection or someone else’s Wifi?
- Consider the use of parental controls on devices that connect to the internet, such as the TV, laptops, games consoles and mobile phones.
Below are various links that are helpful for our students, teachers and parents.