Russell Hobby addresses Aldridge Education South East Cluster
On Friday 29 September 2017 staff members from Brighton Aldridge Community Academy (BACA), Portslade Aldridge Community Academy (PACA) and UTC@harbourside enjoyed an invigorating start to their joint CPD day with a keynote address from Russell Hobby, CEO of Teach First and former General Secretary of the National Association of Head Teachers.
Hobby inspired the audience of teachers, senior leaders and support staff as he explored current challenges in education and what schools can do to solve these issues.
Today’s top challenges in education according to Hobby are:
- the pace of change in Education policy
- the rise of populism and extremism.
To address these issues Hobby suggests three key solutions:
- Strong leadership that:
- sets a high bar on new initiatives to slow the pace of change
- creates environments where staff look after each other and themselves
- Purposeful collaboration
- Focus on literacy as a means of creating wider empathy in society.
‘There is no silver bullet to school improvement, it’s just about good teaching that improves over time in each classroom in the school’ - Russell Hobby